Go to start page

COVID-19: Information to students

Most pandemic restrictions were lifted on 9 February. The university continues to monitor the situation and follows the authorities' recommendations, visit this page for current information. Last updated 23 August 2022.

Stay home if you have symptoms

Stay home and avoid close contact with others if you are ill and have symptoms of COVID-19. This also applies if you have taken a self-test that was negative.

Stay home if you are ill and have symptoms of COVID-19 (The Public Health Agency of Sweden)

Get vaccinated

The vaccination offers strong protection against serious illness and the spread of COVID-19. The University urges all students and staff to get vaccinated. Information about vaccination against COVID-19 can be found on the Healtcare Guide 1177.se.

If you are not vaccinated, you should continue to be careful. Avoid crowding and indoor environments where many people gather.

Your studies at the University

From 1 April 2022, the University also returned to ordinary course and educational plans. If temporary deviations from the ordinary course syllabus are required due to previously laid course planning, specially motivated decisions must be made and documented. In that case, you as a student receive information from your educational institution.

Student healthcare

The pandemic has affected everyone differently. Maybe studying remotely has been tough for you and you still feel it. Maybe you have not experienced studies before the pandemic and feel that studies on campus are a big change. Regardless of your experience, you can contact the student healthcare, which can give you support based on your individual situation.

As a student at the University you have the opportunity to apply for support for study-related ill health. What counts as study-related ill health is not always easy to know. Therefore, it is always better to contact Feelgood, the university's provider of student healthcare once too much than once too little.

More information:

Frequently asked questions

Questions and answers are updated after the return to regular course and education plans on April 1, 2022.

  • In case of illness, suspected or confirmed COVID-19

    What should I do if I or someone I live with falls ill?

    The Swedish Public Health Agency has current information on what to do if you feel ill and have symptoms that may be due to COVID-19 on their webpage.

    Stay home if you are ill and have symptoms of COVID-19 (Public Health Agency of Sweden)

    I suspect that I may have exposed someone to infection when I was at the University. Do I need to notify someone?

    Just like for university staff, you have a responsibility to stay at home and avoid contact with others if you are ill and have symptoms that may be due to COVID-19.

    If you suspect that you may have exposed someone at the university to infection, regardless of the reason for your suspicion, it may be appropriate to inform your teacher or course leader. In dialogue, you can decide whether anyone else at the university should be informed, and if so, who should inform whom.

    I want to get testet for COVID-19, but I do not have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). How do I get tested?

    PCR tests can be taken free of charge at a local health care center or with a home test. If you do not have a Swedish ID Number/Bank ID you can book an appointment by calling. Ordering a selt-test kit requires a Bank-ID.

    Getting tested for COVID-19 (Healthcare guide 1177) 

  • Vaccination against COVID-19

    Where can I find information about vaccination against COVID-19?

    Vaccination against COVID-19 in Västra Götalandsregionen (1177.se)

    Questions and answers about covid-19 vaccines and vaccination (Krisinformation.se) 

    Can I get my second or third covid vaccine dose in Sweden?

    Yes you can. You must bring proof of dose 1 or 2, and preferably also the batch number for the doses.

    How do I book a COVID-19 vaccination?

    Please read through the information found on Vaccination against covid-19 before you book an appointment

    Vaccination will be provided at health centres, hospitals and at certain private vaccination centres. You can find available times and places on the webpage Se var det finns lediga tider och boka tid (Swedish only).

    If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) or foreign e-ID, you cannot book an appointment online. The region advises you to call the doctor’s office or vaccination centre by phone.

    I want to get vaccinated, but I don’t have a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). What can I do?

    While there is no demand for a Swedish citizenship or Swedish personal identity number (personnummer), you must be able to stay long enough in Sweden to receive both doses of the vaccine in order to book it. The vaccination is free of charge.

    If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number you will receive a temporary number when getting the first dose of the vaccine. You will have to save this number until you receive the second dose.

  • COVID Certificate (including vaccination certificate)

    Is the COVID certificate and the vaccination certificate the same thing?

    The vaccination certificate is a type of COVID certificate. There are three types of COVID certificate: vaccination certificate, test certificate and certificate of recovery.

    Where can I find information about the COVID Certificate?

    The Swedish eHealth Agency has information about the COVID Certificate on their website.

    COVID Certificate (eHealth Agency)

    How can I order a vaccination certificate?

    How to order a vaccination certificate depends on wheter you have a Swedish e-ID and a Swedish personal identity number:

    • If you have a Swedish personal identity number and a Swedish e-ID (BankID for example) you can use your electronic ID to retreive your vaccination certificate online on covidbevis.se.
    • If you have a Swedish personal identity number, but no e-ID you can order your certificate by printing out, filling in and posting a form. The certificate will then be mailed to you. At present, turnaround time is 5–10 days to receive a certificate in this way. Forms for ordering a vaccination certificate.
    • If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number but a coordination number (samordningsnummer) you can request a vaccination certificate by printing, filling out and posting a specific form. Forms for ordering a vaccination certificate.

    • If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number and no coordination number your vaccination against COVID-19 has been registered under what is known as a reserve number. You can now obtain a digital vaccination certificate by contacting the healthcare system in the region where you were vaccinated.
      COVID certificate when you have been registered under a reserve number (the Swedish eHealth Agency).
    • If you receive a Swedish personal identity number after being vaccinated without having an ID number, you can contact your vaccine distributor and request that this vaccine be recorded under your personal identity number instead.
  • Abroad (internships or studies outside of Sweden)

    I am a University of Gothenburg student and have been assigned an exchange place abroad. How do I know if I will be able to go?

    The University of Gothenburg has decided to allow studies and internships abroad provided that:

    • it is in line with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 'travel recommendations and Kammarkollegiets insurance terms
    • he receiving university / equivalent is prepared to receive the student.
    • it complies with the receiving country's entry regulations and other guidelines
    • Where applicable, it may also be necessary to take into account restrictive provisions of the party financing the exchange

    Since the conditions can change quickly, however, it is of the utmost importance that you as a student in consultation with the study counsellor / equivalent have an alternative plan to fall back on if the stay abroad needs to be cancelled.

    With regard to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 'travel recommendations, it is clarified here that it is the university's view that studies and internships abroad can be carried out at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' lower level of dissuasion. Deviations from this line must be decided by the head of department after consultation with the dean.

    I was awarded an exchange/traineeship abroad, but want to defer my start term. Is this possible?

    If you want to defer the start of the mobility to a new academic year the answer is no. The University of Gothenburg has as a general rule not to move exchanges to another academic year. If you want to defer your start term, please apply in the next application round.

    It may be possible for you to defer the mobility if it is within the same academic year (e.g., from autumn 2021 to spring 2022). In this case, it must be approved by both the home and host institutions, still fit into your study programme, and be possible under the conditions and regulations at the time. Check first with the International Coordinator/Study Counselor at your department and/or the International Centre.

    Departmental International Coordinators

    E-mail to International Centre: exchangestudies@gu.se

    Can I do a distance exchange/traineeship instead?

    Yes. If the partner university or planned workplace has offered a distance option, this is an alternative for you. Please contact the international coordinator who has been organizing your mobility, that is, at your department/faculty and/or at the International Centre (exchangestudies@gu.se for studies; europe@gu.se for Erasmus traineeships).

    I was accepted to Erasmus studies/Erasmus traineeship. If I do my Erasmus studies/Erasmus traineeship remotely, what happens to the Erasmus grant?

    At the time of writing (June 28, 2021), you can only claim the Erasmus grant funding if you are present in the host country of your mobility. If you are conducting the distance studies/work from Sweden or another country, then you do not receive the Erasmus grant funds. However, as an Erasmus student you still have access to the online language instruction.

  • Residence permits, deferring studies and tuition fees

    Will I be able to receive a residence permit even if the education will be remotely?

    The Swedish Migration Agency has announced that, due to the pandemic, the requirement for on-campus attendance does not apply for the spring term 2022.

    This means that you can go ahead with the residence permit application, as soon as you have an admission result, and taken the other necessary steps.

    Information about residence permits on gu.se

    Frequently asked ques­tions about studying and rese­ar­ching in Sweden (The Swedish Migration Agency)

    Can I defer my studies if I cannot attend the University, due to COVID-19?

    Applications for deferment are assessed individually and is always based on the reason for the application (e.g. closed borders, illness or restrictions travel or other reasons due to the pandemic). A deferral due to the Covid19 pandemic is not automatically valid.

    Deferring your studies (gu.se)

    Will the payment deadline for tuition fees be changed?

    No. There are no plans to change the payment deadline for the spring semester 2021. We consider your tuition fee instalment to be paid on time if the payment has been made before the deadline.

    Will I get a tuition refund if my programme / course is cancelled or if I decide not to register for studies?

    Yes, you are entitled to a refund. Students who have paid the tuition fee and who do not register for and / or attend classes are entitled to a tuition refund.

    About tuition refunds (gu.se)

    Will the tuition fee be reduced if the programme / course will be conducted through distance learning?

    No. There are no changes in the tuition fee, or any possibility to offer discounts. The university is still dedicated to offer great quality education, no matter the study format. This is the general policy among universities in Sweden.

  • Travelling in and out of Sweden
  • More information about COVID-19
Page Manager: Student Portal editorial staff|Last update: 8/23/2022

This page is printed from the following webpage:
Print date: 2023-03-29

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?