Sydney harbour
Photo: Dan Freeman Unsplash

Exchange studies in Oceania

Go down under and enjoy the atmosphere and climate. This page provides information on exchanges in Australia. Some faculties also have exchange opportunities in New Zealand. If your faculty has such agreements, you will find them under "Faculty and department information".

Exchange studies in Australia

Higher Education in Australia

In Australia, the academic year begins in late February or early March and ends in late November. A semester is usually 13 to 15 weeks in duration and is followed by an examination period for all courses taken. The first semester of the academic year (autumn semester) begins in February/March and ends in June, and the second (spring semester) goes from July to November. There is typically a 1 to 3 week break in the middle of the semester (April and September).

To be eligible for a visa, exchange students need to plan to study at the host university on full-time basis. The Australian course credit system varies across universities. See under each respective university for more information.

Language Skills

Students need strong English skills to be able to study in Australia. See under each respective university for more information about skill requirements.


No special scholarships are available for studies in Australia. General information about scholarships for studies abroad is available here.


As an exchange student in Australia, you are automatically and free of charge insured by the collection insurance Student-OUT as University of Gothenburg has signed at Kammarkollegiet. The insurance is valid two weeks before and two weeks after the current study period (term time and possibly welcome program and language course). The insurance applies 24 hours a day in Australia as well as traveling to and from Australia.

Please note!

Some of our partner universities in Australia require the expiry date of the insurance to be later than two weeks after termination of term, this with reference to visa provisions.

After contacting Kammarkollegiet, we may on the insurance certificate you will receive in respect of your visa application write a later end date for obtaining a visa for your exchange studies. However, Kammarkollegiet does not allow the insurance as such to be valid for more than two weeks after termination of term, which means that the time between two weeks after the end of the term and a possible later end date you have no valid insurance through University of Gothenburg collection insurance Student-UT, but you have to arrange your own insurance for that period.

Exceptions for Overseas Health Insurance, OSHC:
You do not need to have OSHC if you are:
• a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
• a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
• a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia

GU-wide exchange spots

In the following countries, the University of Gothenburg has agreements at central level, which means that most of the university's students can apply for exchange places there. However, this does not apply to all students, and the possibility of going on central, university-wide agreements differs between the different faculties. You need to check what applies at your faculty, and that the university offers courses in your subject area.


For questions about GU-wide exchange spots, please contact International Centre.

Exchange spots at your faculty and department

Below you can see if there are exchange agreements between your department/faculty and other universities in Australia or New Zealand. If the tab is empty, there are no agreements in your subject area.



For questions about exchange spots within your study field, please contact the international coordinator at your faculty or department.