Go to start page

Checklist for new students

1. Plan your studies

No later than eight weeks before each course, information on course literature must be provided. Before new courses, many course managers send out e-mails with information about where to find the course's literature list, but you can also search for information on the web. Most departments publish literature lists together with the course syllabus in a searchable database (see link below).

At least two weeks before the start of the course, a course syllabus and schedule, including times for examination and compulsory parts, must be provided.


2. Activate your Student Account (GU-konto)

With your student account you can log on to the Student Portal and access all digital services such as the learning management systems and the study documentation system.

If you have a Swedish personal identity number and login information to universityadmissions.se or to eduID, you can activate your student account online. See more inform

If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number and login to universityadmissions.se or eduID you have to get support to be able to activate your student account. Servicecenter can help you activate your student account. At some departments administrators can help you activate your student account.

Student account


3. Register for course or programme

Being admitted to a course or programme is not the same as being registered. You need to register for a course or programme in order to attend any course, get your GU card and have access to the university’s web services.

Contact your department if you have not received any information about when and how to register. The registration process for international students differs between different departments. At some departments you can register online by yourself via the study documentation system Ladok. If you are unsure about how to register contact your department.

Make sure to bring a proof of identity with you if you are going to register manually at your department!

Register for courses or programme


4. Get your GU card

The GU card is a multi-functional card that you, among other things, use to access University premises, as a library card, for printing and copying.

To get your card you start by ordering your card via the link below. Then you visit a Servicecenter where you will have your picture taken. You pick up your GU card at the Servicecenter.

GU card


5. Log in to you student email

All students at the University of Gothenburg gets a personal e-mail account when activating the student account. The e-mail is provided via Google and also gives you access to a calender, storage space and online document editing.

If you do not want to use your student e-mail, it is important that you log on to the e-mail account so you can turn on an automatic forwarding to another e-mail address that you use, to make sure that you won’t miss important information from the University.

Email, calendar, documents and storage


6. Log in to the learning platform Canvas or GUL and download the app

The University of Gothenburg is introducing a new web-based learning management system called Canvas. During the implementation period for the new learning management system, the old learning platform GUL is also used. The course managers for each course are responsible for informing you if the course uses Canvas or GUL as learning management system.

You must be registered on a course to gain full access to Canvas or GUL.

Both Canvas and GUL can be downloaded as mobile apps. Canvas can be found by searching for "Canvas" and GUL can be found by searching for "PING PONG Mobile".

Information about Canvas and GUL


7. Apply for a personal identity number or contact the Swedish Tax Agency

Students staying in Sweden for more than a year

Students who are planning to study in Sweden for one year or more must be registered in the Swedish population register. Once registered, you will be issued with a personal identity number, or Personnummer.

This number will simplify a whole range of transactions in the Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, opening a bank account or visiting a doctor. You can hand in your application for a personal identity number at the Tax Agency's office located at Östra Hamngatan 16.

Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency website)

Important: Once you receive your personal identity number, contact an administrator at your department to replace the temporary identification number in the University's system. This will help you avoid future administrative problems.


Students staying in Sweden less than a year

Students staying less than a year in Sweden are not registered in the Swedish population register and cannot therefore obtain a personal identity number, or Personnummer.

If you do not have a personal identity number but would like to open a bank account, work and pay taxes you can receive a co-ordination number ("samordningsnummer").

You apply for a co-ordination number at the Tax Agency’s office.

Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency website)

Page Manager: Student Portal|Last update: 1/18/2019

This page is printed from the following webpage:
Print date: 2019-06-24

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?